Fr. Mathias Wolff, S.J. the Venerable and Holy Founder of the Society of Jesus Mary Joseph being greatly enamored by the person of Jesus, His Mission and Vision planted this Society in the garden of the Church in Holland in the year 1822.
Responding to the invitation of His Grace Archbishop Aelen of Madras of which Andhra Pradesh was then a part, 7 young Dutch JMJ sisters landed from London on 29th January 1904 to help and develop the most backward areas of A.P. Mill Hill. In order to establish a firm Christ-like solidarity with the world, his Charism for the sisters was “An Ever Adaptable Apostolic Availability”. The maxim of the Founder was “to work like a giant” and to embrace and reach out to the four corners of the world with an unconditional pliability and respect to the will of God. This precious heritage keeps the sisters always on the move to meet the demands of the Church and build God’s Kingdom everywhere.
Emeritus Archbishop Dr. Raul Gonsalves extended an invitation to offer this charity-in-action to Goa, by opening a house in Porvorim. On 10th October 1991, the Clergy Home was blessed by the Emeritus himself; where in 3 sisters were assigned to look after the aged priests. In the following year, on 15th August 1992 the JMJ community was established. In due course, the JMJ Hospital meant for the care of the sick and the aged priests as also to provide medical assistance to the poor and middle class, in keeping with the mission of the Society was opened in May 1993.
Today JMJ Hospital enjoys the distinction of imparting dedicated nursing, care and providing allied medical facilities including maternity care to people of all walks of life. The motto of the sisters is to heal illnesses through a smile and acts of love and compassion in a mature Christian atmosphere.